Friday 31 August 2012

Kipling Gardens



Rudyard Kipling
In the heart of Rottingdean, near Brighton, a charming garden with an interesting history delights locals, but most people who live outside the village wouldn't know it was even there. Hiding behind high walls, this council-maintained garden once belonged to Rudyard Kipling, who lived there from 1897 - 1902. In the latter part of the twentieth century the garden became neglected, but was rescued since 1980 by the Rottingdean Preservation Society, which still assists in its maintenance to this day. What a delight to discover a garden, free for all, planted and maintained so beautifully. If you are in the area it is well worth a visit!







5 comments:

  1. What a delightful garden with a literary significance! It could do with more promotion so lots more people within the area and beyond would know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, although it's rather lovely to sit there without too many people coming and going - it's part of the beauty of the place.

      Delete
  2. What a charming space; I shall be sure to visit if I am in the area. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very lovely garden. I really like how they created the garden rooms. I wonder if I could write like him in a garden like that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you could, Mary, you write very well. It does have an atmosphere of creativity about the place, I think I might go there again soon and have a go at some poetry!

    ReplyDelete