Thursday 11 August 2011

Magical Merriments

You'd be hard pushed to find four acres crammed with more beautiful planting than Merriments in East Sussex. I really like what they are doing there, showcasing plants from their own nursery, and experimenting with colour combinations. The gardens have a traditional feel yet there are some very modern ideas, for example using vegetables as ornamentals, and massed plantings in the 'new perrenial' style. I challenge anyone to visit and not be impressed. I took so many photos on my visit this week, that I've put them together in a little video below - please enjoy!

Some of my favourite shots are also posted below:







In one corner of the garden is a peaceful area where you can observe feeding birds. Only today they were beaten to it by a naughty, but clever, visitor:



If you are in East Sussex and you love gardens, do try to get to Merriments, it really is a wonderful garden.

3 comments:

  1. Martin I thought I was watching GW for a moment there. Absolutely wonderful stuff!

    Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, that is truly a wonderful garden. I can't even think about all the work that a garden of this scale requires... It is so great that some people are able to do it and the others like us can enjoy ;-). Somehow I fell in love with the white dahlias. I guess I need some for my garden for the next year. With sufficient watering they should grow well here in San Diego, too. Thanks for featuring the Merriments Garden.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely a wonderful looking place Martin! You're so lucky to have so many garden attractions relatively near you :)

    ReplyDelete