Tuesday 30 August 2011

Welsh Wonders Part 1

I've just got back from a visit to South Wales, and while I was there made sure that some garden visiting was undertaken. First came a trip to the National Botanic Gardens of Wales. This was my third visit, but it's always improving, and I haven't been in (dare I say it) late summer. As it was raining when we arrived, we made straight for the glasshouse, which is the world's largest single-spanned glasshouse. Plants from Mediterranean climate zones are spectacularly displayed, with walkways taking you among the plantings.


That's a lot of glass!


'Kangaroo Paws'



Leucadendron salignum 'Fireglow'

Aloe Dichotoma (Quiver Tree)
By the time we had explored the glasshouse it had stopped raining and we made our way outside - which I'll save for the next post!!

4 comments:

  1. Martin, that is truly an impressive green house! Many of the plants you showed in this post you can see growing here in Southern California outside in the gardens, since I am living in a Mediterranean climate. It is so interesting that a plant that is very common to you can become something very special in a different climate zone. Believe it or not for me delphiniums and foxgloves are very special since I can not grow them properly here!
    Christina

    Looking forward to the next post!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina, I'm afraid I don't feel sorry for you not being able to grow foxgloves in your beautiful Mediterranean climate!!! It is great to be able to visit glasshouses that give an idea of the plant life in different climates. Perhaps you could get a 'chilled greenhouse' and grow foxgloves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martin, nice to see a kangaroo paw so far from home. I look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after going through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm certainly pleased I came across it and I'll be bookmarking
    it and checking back often!

    Feel free to visit my blog post - click here

    ReplyDelete