Monday 11 April 2011

Gardens of Villa Melzi, Bellagio

The sun shone down as I made my way around my first Italian garden. The villa was built between 1808 and 1810 for Francesco Melzi d'Eril, vice president of the ItalianRepublic under Napoleon and then Grand Chancellor of the Italian Republic. The garden was designed by architect Luigi Canonica and botanist Luigi Villoresi. The gardens are built along the shore of Lake Como, allowing for some gorgeous vistas...






There were many plants familiar to British gardeners, but they were about a month ahead of the UK. Acers were in full leaf and looking spectacular...




Rhododendrons and azaleas are also early. A local lady explained that tourists come to see them in May, and this year they will be over. I guess I'm just lucky!



2 comments:

  1. I visited Italy last September. Its gardens look different in spring. Lucky you! Great photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking garden Martin, love it! The displays of the acers and rhododendrons look great, not to mention the stunning vista!

    ReplyDelete